There are no active references in this article.
An erect-growing deciduous shrub, with biennial stems, 4 to 6 ft high, covered with a blue-white, waxy bloom, and closely set with bristle-like spines, 1⁄4 in. or less in length, not downy. Leaves composed of three or five leaflets, and on young vigorous plants as much as 14 in. long, but usually some 6 or 8 in. long; side leaflets ovate, 2 to 4 in. long, coarsely and unevenly toothed, very sparsely hairy above, covered with a close white felt beneath, terminal leaflet much larger especially in the trifoliolate leaves, often lobed, heart-shaped at the base. Flowers small, with reddish purple petals which are shorter than the calyx segments, and soon fall. Fruits 1 in. across, roundish, red, and downy, with an agreeable acid taste. Bot. Mag., t. 7426.
Native of Central China; originally discovered by Henry in Hupeh and introduced by him to Kew in 1889; it was later reintroduced by Wilson from the same province. It is one of the most effective of the white-stemmed raspberries.