There are no active references in this article.
This graft-hybrid was raised in 1902 in the garden of St Vincent College, Rennes, by beheading a plant of the pear ‘William’s Bon Chrêtien’ just above the graft-union, the stock being the common quince. It resembles the quince, having leaves on very short stalks, ovate, 11⁄2 to 3 in. long, toothed, rounded at the base. It was named by Prof. Winkler of Hamburg after the Director of the garden. In 1913 Daniel raised another graft-hybrid of the same parentage, naming it after Winkler. This sprang, not from the graft-union, but from a root of the stock, which must have arisen from the graft-union many years previously (the plant was an old one). This hybrid – ‘Winkleri’ – has elliptic-ovate leaves, acuminate at the apex, more persistently downy than in the original form.