There are currently no active references in this article.
This is a close ally of the Douglas fir, but according to Jepson is only from 30 to 90 ft high. It differs from P. menziesii in its leaves being incurved instead of straight, and taper-pointed instead of usually rounded at the apex. Cones larger, occasionally 61⁄2 to 71⁄2 in. long, with the bracts not protruded so much beyond the scales. Native of S. California and Lower California.
Although very distinct because of its large cones, it has not much value either as a timber producer or as an ornamental tree. It was introduced to cultivation in 1910 by H. Clinton Baker, who found it susceptible to injury by spring frost. One of the trees he planted at Bayfordbury, Herts, survives and measures 38 × 21⁄4 ft (1962). There are two grafted trees in the National Pinetum, Bedgebury, Kent, pl, 1925, the larger 60 × 51⁄2 ft (1974).
specimens: National Pinetum, Bedgebury, Kent, 60 × 53⁄4 ft and 70 × 61⁄4 ft (1980); Hillier Arboretum, Ampfield, Hants, 46 × 3 ft (1986); Castlewellan, Co. Down, 52 × 41⁄2 ft (1983).