There are currently no active references in this article.
A deciduous spreading bush 4 to 6 ft high, with slender, usually glabrous twigs. Leaves obovate, more gradually tapered towards the base than towards the bluntish apex, 1⁄2 to 11⁄2 in. long, 1⁄4 to 3⁄4 in. wide, sprinkled with appressed hairs on both surfaces and on the margins; stalk 1⁄12 to 1⁄8 in. long. Flowers twin, yellowish white tinged with pink, about 1⁄2 in. long, each pair pendulous from the leaf-axils on a very slender stalk 1⁄2 to 11⁄2 in. long; corolla tubular, bellied at the base, glabrous, with almost equal lobes, produced in May and June. Fruits scarlet, united for about half their length.
Native of W. China and S.E. Tibet, discovered by Przewalski in Kansu in 1872. It was introduced in 1890 and later became more common through seeds sent home by Farrer from Kansu. It is distinct on account of its small obovate leaves and the long stalk on which each pair of flowers is borne. It is also one of the most beautiful in its pendulous scarlet fruits. Wilson’s specimens from Hupeh and Szechwan have leaves that are larger (up to 21⁄2 in. long) and proportionately narrower than those from Kansu. Forrest’s No. 19027 from Tsarong (S.E. Tibet) has downy shoots and some Delavay specimens collected in Yunnan resemble it in this respect.