There are currently no active references in this article.
A shrub 10 to 16 ft high, with glabrous young shoots; thorns 11⁄2 to 2 in. long. Leaves broadly ovate, the base broadly wedge-shaped or rounded, the upper part sharply toothed, and cut up at each side into two or four triangular lobes 1⁄4 to 1⁄2 in. deep; 11⁄2 to 3 in. long, 1 to 21⁄2 in. wide; quite glabrous on both surfaces except at first; stalk slender, glandular, up to 11⁄8 in. long. Flowers white, 3⁄4 to 1 in. across, stalks and outside of calyx glabrous; stamens twenty, anthers pink; styles five. Fruit globose, 5⁄8 in. diameter, dark shining crimson.
Discovered in May 1900 by J. Dunbar, on the banks of the Genesee River at Rochester, New York. Its flowers are amongst the largest in the genus, and the handsome fruits remain on the branches till midwinter. Sargent describes it as one of the most ornamental thorns of the northern United States. Introduced in 1901.